LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY FAVORITE MYTHOLOGICAL MONSTERS. I have many of them, but this one is extra-great.
The Nuckelavee is a vile, blight-bearing sea monster hailing from the Orkney Islands of Scotland. It doesn’t actually have any sea creature parts (like, y’know, gills or fins) because it doesn’t give a shit. You know what it is instead? A goddamn faerie demon centaur. It lives in the sea just because it WANTS TO, that’s why.
It also totally breaks centaur rules by having its torso fused into the back of the horse body. Like, the ENTIRE horse body. It actually has two heads, the humanoid one and the horse one, and they are both terrifying. The Nuckelavee’s horse head has only one huge, burning eye, and those horrible horse teeth (which are pretty terrible on a normal horse, as it is). And also the whole monster is completely bloody and flayed skinless! Just an oozing, pulsing mass of muscles and black veins, oh boy.
BUT WAIT, THERE’S MORE! Did you know:
- The Nuckelavee sends horses into frothing, deadly fits of fever just because it hates them! Sometimes it does this to cows also because close enough.
- It breathes pestilence and decay upon the land!
- It also hates the smell of burning seaweed. Beach bonfires are a sure-fire way to send it on a brutal rampage!
- It’s totally invisible in the water, so you’ll never see it writhing towards you until it’s too late!
- The only things that can stop it are wizards and running water. That’s it.
You can’t tell me these guys aren’t the best. You just can’t!